P-Card FAQ's

New Bank & Card Provider Transition

1. Why are we changing the cards from MasterCard to Visa?

The VISA cards provided by U.S. Bank offer a customizable PIN, enhanced security, and worldwide acceptance.


2. How do I change my card information for automatic recurring charges?

Once you have received your new Visa card, contact the merchants with your new Visa card number and expiration date.


3. When will my current MasterCard stop working?

All Bank of America MasterCards will be closed upon receipt of new card.


4. What do I do with my current MasterCard?

You will turn in your MasterCard when you come to an informational session (April/May 2017).


5. Will my PIN number change?

Yes, you can now customize your PIN with U.S. Bank.


6. Will my card number change?

Yes, all cardholders will receive new card numbers.

7. How do I pick up my new P-Card?

To pick up your new P-Card you will need to come by one of our ten U.S. Bank informational sessions

(sign-up is not required).


8. What is an informational session?

The P-Card group is holding ten informational sessions. These sessions are for cardholders to turn in their old cards and pick up their new cards. We will have laptops to setup online services for cardholders and be available to answer any questions. Cardholders are not required to stay for any length of time at a session.


9. Do I have to come to an informational session?

Yes, we encourage all cardholders to stop by during an informational session to pick up their P-Card and ask any questions about the bank/card transition.


10. If I am a delegate for a cardholder may I come by an informational session to pick up their card?

Yes, while all cardholders are welcome to come to a session, faculty members who have a delegate are

not required to come by.


11. What if I cannot come to one of the informational sessions?

Please contact the P-Card office for arrangements for card pickup and any specific questions you have.


12. What if I am offsite?

Arrangements will be made to ship your new cards.

Goods and Services

1. What is Caltech’s billing address?

California Institute of Technology (A.K.A. Caltech) 1200 E. California Blvd.

Pasadena, CA 91125


2. Approximately, how many times a week will we receive downloads?

Cards transactions are loaded daily into CardQuest.


3. Can I have my monthly limit raised?

A change limit form must be submitted to increase card limits. This form must be approved by an authorizer. The change limit form can be found on the P-Card website.


4. Will I receive a statement from U.S. Bank?

U.S. Bank does not issue paper statements. Electronic statements are available through U.S. Bank Access Online. Instructions to set up an Access Online Account can be found on the P-Card website.


5. What do I do if my card is lost or stolen?

Immediately contact a P-Card Administrator during business hours. You may also contact U.S. Bank at their toll free customer service line (800) 523-9078.


6. Do I need to submit original paper receipts?

Yes, all original paper receipts are required to be sent to P-Card & Travel Services for audit purposes. These receipts will be retained for 1 years past the current fiscal year per the requirements of FAR policy. Special envelopes will be provided for mailing the receipts to the P- Card & Travel Services department.


7. Can I use my P-Card for travel?

You can use your P-Card for travel only after:

·         P-Card Travel training has been completed (for training please contact a P-Card Administrator) and

·         After you have received prior approval from a Department Authorizer


8. When is the reconciliation deadline?

Reconciliation occurs the third week of the month. The dates will be posted on the P-Card website as well as posted in CardQuest. Reminder emails will be sent out prior to reconciliation day. The deadline applies to Goods & Services reports only.


9. How do I log in to CardQuest?

There will be a link in access.caltech.edu. You will enter your access ID with @caltech.edu and you access password.


10. Will someone be able to create my expense report on my behalf?

Yes, you can assign a delegate to create an expense report and make online travel reservations on your behalf using the travel portal.


11. What is Receipt Store?

Receipt Store allows the user to upload images of receipts/invoices to attach to the report.


12. What is an international transaction fee?

This is a fee charged when the card transactions require a currency conversion. The fee is a percentage of the transaction amount. This amount may vary but it is typically 1% or .8%


13. Why is my card being declined?

There are many reasons why your card could be declining; the most common reason is exceeding your single purchase limit or your monthly limit. Contact a P-Card Administrator or contact U.S. Bank’s Fraud Department directly at 800-523-9078.


14. How do I dispute a charge?

The cardholder should work with the merchant first to request a credit. If the issue cannot be resolved, a dispute form can be filed directly with U.S. Bank.


15. My last name has changed, what should I do?

Contact a P-Card Administrator to order a new card with your new name.


16. How do I cancel my card?

If you need to cancel your card, contact a P-Card Administrator.


17. How do I update my statement mailing address?

Contact a P-Card Administrator for any address updates.


18. What do I do if I don’t recognize a charge in CardQuest?

The first step would be to hover over the Visa Card icon to determine where the supplier is billing from and if a phone number is present. If so, please attempt to call the supplier. If you still cannot determine what the transaction is please contact P-Card group.


19. Is it legal for a supplier to charge me extra for using the credit card?

As a result of a legal settlement to resolve claims by a group of U.S. merchants, merchants in the U.S. and U.S. territories may add a surcharge to certain credit card transactions, starting January 27, 2013.

 U.S.  merchants that surcharge are required, among other things, to:

Limit surcharging to credit cards only (no surcharging debit and prepaid cards) and limit the amount of the surcharge to the applicable merchant discount rate for the credit card transaction surcharged*.

Disclose the actual dollar amount of the surcharge on every receipt and disclose the fact that the merchant assesses a surcharge at the point or store entry and at the point of sale.

20.  What does this icon mean?

  p-card icon